Our goal this year is to collect 200,000 coats. That’s a pretty daunting number, but we’re positive we can get there with your help. Do you want to support the drive, but aren’t sure where to start? Here are a number of ways to get started:
- Drop off your coat at any of these locations. Our map feature lets you search for the location that’s most convenient to you.
- Make a financial donation. Due to Hurricane Sandy, many of the communities that are in the most urgent need of winter coats are also the most difficult to reach because of transportation issues and power outages. Your monetary donation will help us distribute coats to these hard-to-reach areas.
- Attend an event supporting New York Cares. Many local shops and vendors are hosting special promotional events where a portion of proceeds will be donated to the drive. Many events will also be collecting coats.
- Host your own collection site. Please note: you do not need to be an oriented volunteer to host your own site.
I started collecting coats. Now what?
- Tell your friends on social media:
- Start a Coat Drive event on Facebook. You can tell everyone when you’ll be collecting, and why they should donate a coat.
- Tweet about your efforts using #CoatDrive12. Let us know what you’re doing to support the drive, and see what other people have been doing. And make sure you follow the @newyorkcares account to stay up to date on the latest news.
- Submit a blog story so we can spread the word about the importance of the Coat Drive. Personal stories are great ways to highlight the need this year.
Now get started! We can’t do it without you!
By Susan Torres